If you’ve started the process of looking for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) treatment, you may feel a bit overwhelmed. There are a lot of questions that need to be asked and information that needs to be gathered when it comes to finding the right BPD treatment for you.
There are also a lot of options for BPD treatment, including residential BPD treatment, outpatient BPD treatment, and BPD day treatment. If you’re leaning toward entering BPD day treatment, that likely means you’ve already been through a residential BPD treatment program or need a higher level of care than outpatient BPD treatment can provide.
But what exactly should you be looking for to find a suitable BPD day treatment center? We’ve put together a list of questions to ask BPD day treatment centers as you get started on your search:
- Where can you live while you are receiving BPD day treatment? Is there a residential or transitional living facility you can live at, or will you live at home?
- How many people are in treatment at one time?
- What is the ratio of clients to clinicians?
- What type of licensing and training does the staff have?
- Are you able to go offsite during the day, or are you required to stay at the day treatment center?
- What are the rules of the program (policies on cell phones, dress code, etc.)?
- What meals will be provided?
- How many hours of the day will you be in treatment?
- How many groups are offered each day? What types of groups are offered?
- How many individual therapy sessions will you receive each week?
- Will you have access to a psychiatrist and medications?
- Will your BPD treatment be centered around Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? DBT is the primary and most effective type of BPD treatment.
- Is the staff intensively trained in DBT? You want to make sure the staff, both clinicians and program staff, have training in the DBT skills that can help you to have a successful recovery.
- What other types of therapy will be used?
- Are holistic methods, such as yoga, included as part of BPD treatment?
- How does the BPD day treatment center address co-occurring disorders, such as depression, substance abuse, or eating disorders? Is there staff specifically trained to treat those disorders?
- How will your family be involved in your BPD treatment? Are there family groups or programs?
- What recreational activities, if any, are provided by the BPD day treatment center?
Funding Your BPD Treatment
- What is the cost of attending BPD day treatment?
- Are there any extra costs involved (psychiatrists, therapeutic massage, etc.)?
- What are the terms of payment?
- Is anything covered by insurance?
- Is there a financial counselor on staff who can help with the billing process?
Remember that it can take some time to find the right BPD day treatment program for you. Take the time needed to ask the right questions and get answers. If possible, schedule a visit to the BPD day treatment programs you are interested in to get a feel for the facility and the staff.
Of course, before you enter any type of BPD treatment, you should consult with a psychiatrist who specializes in Borderline Personality Disorder to help you determine if BPD day treatment will be the most effective treatment for you.
Finding the right BPD day treatment program isn’t always the easiest thing to do, but taking the time to do it right the first time means a better chance at a long-term recovery from your Borderline Personality Disorder.