Living with someone who suffers from and displays symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), can leave family members exhausted and confused. BPD symptoms are volatile and emotional, and can make for an unstable and nerve-wracking environment.
Between the intense mood swings, the uncontrollable anger, the threats of self-harm or even suicide, loss of connection to reality, erratic reactions to fear of abandonment and so on, watching a loved one go through this pain can be unbearable.
Borderline Personality Disorder treatment is out there. In the past, those who suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder were considered untreatable. Today, those who undergo treatment for BPD can improve, and recover from, their symptoms.
There are many options for the type of Borderline Personality Disorder treatment your family member can receive:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Residential BPD treatment
- Outpatient BPD treatment
- Day treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder
How to Help Your Family Member Find BPD Treatment
The best way you can help your family member is by doing your research. Learn more about the different approaches to treating the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder, then find the treatment center that best suits the needs of your family.
Call around, visit, make note of the Borderline Personality Disorder treatment centers that are available to answer your questions and make you feel comfortable and supported in your quest to help your family member.
A BPD treatment center should be able to answer these types of questions:
- What is the process for diagnosis/how individualized will the treatment plan be?
- Does the center offer treatment for those with a dual diagnosis? For example, a co-occurring problem with substance abuse, severe depression, or an eating disorder?
- What type of credentials do the clinicians at the BPD treatment center have?
- Does the center offer continuing classes and involvement after the initial treatment (an aftercare program)?
- What is the ratio of clients to clinicians at the Borderline Personality treatment facility?
- Does the center offer holistic treatment for BPD?
- Does the center take insurance as payment for treatment?
If your family member is ready to reach out for help, make an appointment with the BPD treatment centers that felt right. Give your family member a chance to feel them out and weigh in on this important decision.
If you need to convince your family member that it is time to seek Borderline Personality treatment, show them that you love them, that you support them, and that you are concerned about their health and the health of your relationship. A support system is invaluable in recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder. Let them know you are there.