If you or someone you love is afflicted with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), one of the best things you can do is to get informed. While there are endless resources available to learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder and how to better cope with the psychiatric disorder, there are a few that are particularly useful.
Below are some of the most helpful books, websites, and documentaries on Borderline Personality Disorder:
Books on BPD
There are a wide variety of books on BPD, but the best ones include the following:
- “Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder,” by Marsha M. Linehan – This book has been around for quite some time, yet still many consider it to be an indispensible tool in dealing with Borderline Personality Disorder.
- “Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder,” by Rachel Reiland – A rare first-hand account of what it’s like to have BPD, which might be helpful for people who have someone afflicted with BPD in their lives.
- “Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change,” by Valerie Porr – This book is a landmark work in helping people who don’t have BPD understand it and accept it.
- “I Hate You, Don’t Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality,” by Jerold J. Kreisman – This book is a good introduction to BPD for people dealing with an afflicted loved one, and gives the reader ideas and plans on how to cope with BPD.
Websites on BPD
There’s a lot of information about Borderline Personality Disorder on the Internet. Some of the best resources online include the following:
- bpdresourcecenter.org – The Borderline Personality Disorder Resource Center is a helpful portal covering news, resources, and where to get help.
- www.bpddemystified.com – Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified is a great educational resource tackling some of the myths surrounding BPD, and striving to educate those afflicted with BPD and their families about what BPD is and how to treat it.
- www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com – The National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing education and awareness to those with or those who know someone with BPD. The website has resources, videos, and articles.
- www.bpdfamily.com – The Borderline Personality Disorder Support for the Family and Relationship Partners website has a comprehensive list of book reviews, articles, and updated forums for people coping with someone in their lives who has BPD.
Documentaries on BPD
These useful videos can help further one’s understanding of Borderline Personality Disorder and how it affects not only those who have it, but those surrounded by the people it afflicts. Documentaries on BPD include the following:
- “Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about His Father” – This true story about the ultimate crime of passion features BPD as an affliction suffered by the suspect in the story’s murder.
- “Back From the Edge: Living with and Recovering from Borderline Personality Disorder” – This documentary was created by the Lichtenstein Creative Media for the Borderline Personality Resource Center, and serves as an introduction to BPD.
Hopefully these resources will help you and those you care about gain a better understanding and insight into Borderline Personality Disorder, as well as how to deal with it. If you have any other helpful BPD resources, including movies about BPD, feel free to post them in the comments.